Monday 4 April 2011

AC Grayling has published ....

... an alternative "The Good Book", a distillation of all things secular, he writes ...

"Unlike religious ethics, humanism does not invoke the commands, promises or punishments of divinities.  Instead, humanism is drawn from human experience and offers to people everywhere a basis for living good, courageous and flourishing lives.
That is what the best secular thinkers of all ages dedicated themselves to and it is their wisdom that has been distilled into the pages of The Good Book".
... unfortunately Mr. Grayling does not attempt to ask the two most thought provoking questions ...

  • where do we come from?
  • why are we here?

... the first question might be answerable by science, but the second question needs philosophy or religion (is there a difference).

I remember a lady speaking on the radio sometime last year, it was late Summer or early Autumn, the trees had leaves and I wasn't wearing a coat, she said ...

"when I get up in the morning, my faith gives me a purpose for my existence, I couldn't imagine living life without purpose".

... odd thing religious faith, you either have it or you don't; my mother had faith, believed in a Christian god, believed in heaven, she worried that when she saw my father once again she would look so much older than him, he died at an early age.  That was faith.

Why does AC Grayling spend so much time trying to take away from people their faith, it belongs to the individual, it is much like freedom of speech, a very personal and private explanation of things inexplicable.

I have no religion, but to Mr Grayling I would send the message...

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."  Einstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment